Sep 2019 -Aug 2023
Funding agency: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeiten (GiZ), Germany
Description: The project examines the work conditions of last-mile gig workers on digital platforms providing geographically tethered services in domains such as ride-hailing, food delivery, domestic services. The goal is to understand how the emergence of AI-based digital infrastructure to mediate between the those demanding services and those providing them, impacts work conditions.
PIs: Balaji Parthasarathy, Janaki Srinivasan
- Balaji Parthasarathy, Janaki Srinivasan, Mounika Neerukonda, Pradyumna Taduri, Funda Ustek-Spilda, Aradhana Cherupara Vadekkethil, Mark Graham and Richard Heeks. 2022. Between opportunity and precarity in Bangalore, India: Seeking fair work in the platform economy. Digital Geography and Society. Forthcoming.
- Alessio Bertolini, Mark Graham, Mounika Neerukonda, Sanna Ojanperä, Janaki Srinivasan, Pradyumna Taduri, and Funda Ustek-Spilda.Platformising informality, one gig at a time (co-authors: in alphabetical order). In Ursula Huws and Aditi Surie (eds.). Platformization and Informality: Pathways of Change, Alteraation and Transformation. Basingstoke, UK: Palmgrave Macmillan.
- Fairwork. 2021. Fairwork India Ratings 2021: Labour Standards in the Gig Economy. Bangalore, India; Oxford, United Kingdom. Available at: https://fair.work/en/fw/publications/fairwork-india-ratings-2021-labour-standards-in-the-platform-economy/
- Fairwork. 2020. Fairwork India Ratings 2020: Labour Standards in the Gig Economy. Bangalore, India; Oxford, United Kingdom. Available at: https://fair.work/en/fw/publications/fairwork-india-ratings-2020-labour-standards-in-the-platform-economy
- Fairwork. 2019. Fairwork India Ratings 2019: Labour Standards in the Gig Economy. Bangalore, India; Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Taduri, Pradyumna and Srinivasan, Janaki. 2020. “Weapons of the weak in a digital age? The case of food delivery workers in Bangalore, India.” Paper at the “Taming platform capitalism: Struggles from the Global South meet struggles from the Global North” panel, Association of Internet Researchers, October 5, https://doi.org/10.5210/spir.v2020i0.11111
Taduri, Pradyumna and Srinivasan, Janaki. 2020. “The Gig Lane” Game presented at the “Making and Doing” session, Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) Annual Meeting, virPrague, August 18-21.